- The first step is to edit your domain registrar's DNS settings, including the A-Record and CNAME.
- The second step is done in your Zenfolio account where you link your account to your custom domain.
The CNAME record is a type of record in the DNS which specifies that the domain name is an alias. The Alias name is the sub-domain you want to use. For example "www", or "photos" which will display as www.yourdomainname.com or photos.yourdomainname.com in the address bar of your Zenfolio site.
In order to set a sub-domain or CNAME you will need to make configuration changes at your domain registration company, (for example GoDaddy, 1&1, Yahoo…). Check with your domain registrar for the exact procedure but it usually involves editing DNS configurations.
Generally, following the steps below will let you change your DNS settings:
- Login to your account at your domain registrar.
- Open the DNS settings. If you have more than one domain, select the domain you want pointed to your Zenfolio website (only one domain can be pointed to your Zenfolio website).
- In the Domain field input @.
- In the Type field input A if required.
- In the IP field (this may be labeled something else, such as Value, Points To, or Destination) input Zenfolio's IP address: 18.104.22.168
- In the Domain field, enter the subdomain you want to use, in this case www.
- In the Type field, input CNAME if required.
- In the IP field, input custom.zenfolio.com
*Note: custom.zenfolio.com must be typed exactly. Do not replace the word custom.
The DNS settings should look something like this:
@ A 22.214.171.124 www CNAME custom.zenfolio.com
Once you have finished these settings, it may take up to 48 hours for the changes to be seen across the internet, so please be patient.
- Return to your Zenfolio account then go to Settings.
- Go to Website.
- Go to Custom Domain.
- Select Point a custom domain name to your Zenfolio pages.
- Enter your domain name. Be sure the domain you enter begins with www.
- Click Test DNS Setup.
If the Test comes back with the message The domain name is configured correctly, click Save and you are done.
If it comes back with This domain is not configured correctly, then you will need to wait longer or check your settings at your domain registrar.
Some common Issues to look for:
- A record pointing to Zenfolio was not created.
- There are multiple A records. There should only be one A record and it should be the one pointing to 126.96.36.199
- Cname Record is not pointing to custom.zenfolio.com. The custom part should NOT be edited or changed.
- Domain is using nameservers from another service. The domain should use the domain host's default nameservers.